Registering Your Vehicle

South Dakota Vehicle Registration


Once you are filling out the agreement to become a member of Americas Mailbox, in order to save you time and avoid unnecessary delays, please email or fax us your completed checklist, to have us calculate how much it will cost to register your vehicles in South Dakota at the same time as you send in your application. Fill in ALL the information on our "Vehicle Checklist" form, included in your application kit, before you ask us to calculate the costs. Of course, there are never any inspections or proof of insurance required. Your vehicles never need to be in South Dakota. If you do not yet have South Dakota driver’s licenses, the vehicles are registered to your social security number. Once they are registered, the law on the books states that you should come to anywhere in South Dakota within 90 days to obtain the driver’s license, which is your main proof of residency. However, we have not heard of anyone being stopped if they have not yet changed their driver’s license.

The vehicle registration process from start to finish may take anywhere from 2 to 3 weeks (if all the documents and fees are immediately sent to our Vehicle Registration staff) to 2 to 3 MONTHS (possibly even longer) if documents need to be obtained from other sources. You are notified by email as soon as the registrations/renewals we have handled for you are in your box.

Remember, when you have us handle your vehicle registrations long distance, you can have our in-house insurance agent give you a quote on the low, low South Dakota vehicle insurance rates!

The fee for our South Dakota title & registration service starts at $65.  This is a substantial bargain when considering alternatives.  On average, our competitors and most dealerships charge several hundred dollars for these types of services.  Our entire TEAM of vehicle registration experts will provide you a much more personalized and complete service for significantly cheaper. (*Title fees for vehicles with a lien/trust/business/import/lease are slightly higher.)

PLEASE NOTE: We do NOT utilize the DMV when handling your vehicle registrations. In South Dakota, the DMV only handles driver's licenses. If you or your dealer refer to, or mail to, the DMV, your registrations may be delayed for weeks or months while that paperwork is in the wrong hands.

License and registration fees are calculated based on the age and weight of your specific vehicles and then prorated for the first year based upon the first letter of your last name. Please supply us with this information on our checklist as described above and we will calculate the South Dakota Title & Registration fees.

If you own outright OR have just purchased the vehicle, you must supply the original title or the original manufacturer's Certificate of Origin (keep copies for your records).

If you do NOT have the title in your possession, you must obtain the original paper title from your lienholder. Fill out the required title request form that we supply you. You will also sign our Power of Attorney in front of a notary in the same way your name(s) appear on the vehicle title so that we may complete the process for you. Utilize our new online notary service for the ultimate in convenience!

In South Dakota, for trailers, fifth wheels and motorhomes, we will need either:

  • A document indicating the unladen or shipping weight of THAT vehicle and its VIN (or what that make/model weighs);
  • - OR - you will need to go to a CERTIFIED weigh scale (Flying J, Loves, larger truck stops, etc.) and have your vehicle weighed separately (drop the trailer on the scale or drop the tow car from the motorhome). Make sure your tanks are empty if you can. (If there are no truck stops near you, simply call the local sheriff's dept., state police or highway patrol and ask them where they take trucks to be weighed);
  • - OR - simply take a digital picture of your sticker inside your RV that shows both the VIN number AND the empty, unladen, shipping or curb weight, print it out and send that along. Some manufacturers no longer display this in your rig, but you can email them and receive a reply from them with the VIN and empty weight of your vehicle. Forward that information to us and that will take care of your weight requirement.

Set up your account with us BEFORE you register your vehicle - and this is important - especially before you buy your new vehicle as well. If you do not, you will probably pay big money unnecessarily. A few of the states have requirements as to how long you must be a resident of another state before you can avoid paying sales tax on a purchase; check with your current state and dealer to make sure you meet their requirements.

The excise tax (which you pay on vehicles in South Dakota) is only 4%. If you have NEVER paid sales tax, they will apply that 4% to the purchase price, if new, or to the NADA value, if more than 6 months old. If you have a recent bill of sale showing your purchase price and/or any sales tax paid, that may be used along with the Dealer Tax Affidavit to prove taxes were already paid. If not, then your original registration document showing the state sales tax paid must be provided. This will ALWAYS apply if the issue date on the title is less than 6 months old, since regardless of purchase date, proof of taxes is always required. 


When you a buy a vehicle, whether new or used, on which you will be paying the 4% to South Dakota, you MUST have us complete your paperwork and licensing within 45 days of the sale date, or you will be paying a late fee in addition to the one-time 4% tax. It does not matter how long your temporary tags from another state may be good for; South Dakota starts assessing penalties on the 46th day.

South Dakota assesses the one-time 4% tax (if you have not paid at least that much to another state) on all vehicles, EXCEPT a purchase of a vehicle over 11 years old for an amount less than $2200.

For you folks who are from the East Coast, what South Dakota calls an Excise Tax is NOT what you are used to. Think of this as you would a sales tax. This is NOT a tax that you have to pay every year, over and over...this is a one-time charge. In fact, if you've already paid 4% or more state sales tax on your vehicles, you would not have to pay it again.

If you've paid less than 4%, you'll have to pay the difference. If you have held the clear title for at least one year, issued from a state collecting at least 4% sales tax, you would verify that with the original registration document from that state.

We register your vehicles for you long-distance through our Power of Attorney that you have notarized wherever you're at. NEW! Use our convenient online notary service from wherever you are in the world. It is important to have the notary WITNESS your signature, and please make sure that there is NOTHING crossed out or erased, by either you OR the notary, or the document will be void. Email or call if you have any questions about what to check.

You do NOT have to have a South Dakota driver's license to register your vehicles in Pennington County. However, you cannot obtain any specialty or vanity license plates until you have a South Dakota driver's license. When you get the driver's license, you can then obtain personalized, disabled, commercial radio, veteran, and other types of special plates.

Please note:  When you are planning to sell your vehicle that is already registered in South Dakota, please read through New SD Cars Info before proceeding.

If you have not downloaded the Full Application Kit, the basic vehicle checklist portion is shown below, as well as some other forms you may need to fill out in order to have us complete the paperwork and obtain the plates for your vehicles. Please download the correct specialized forms for boat and boat trailer registration, leased vehicles, or vehicles in a trust.

  • Vehicle Checklist - Start the process here with our checklist; This easy to follow checklist will help to simplify the process. Please be sure to review and complete the Terms of Service agreement as well. 
  • Boat and Boat Trailers - Download this for boat and boat trailer registration.
  • Power of Attorney - This only gives us authorization to apply for your title and registrations on your behalf - nothing else. You only need to fill this out if you want us to register your vehicle. PLEASE NOTE: The Power of Attorney MUST be notarized! It must be free of any erasures or cross-outs. If it is not correct, we must return it to you to get it done, causing unnecessary delays and cost.

Other forms you may need to fill out to allow us to complete your vehicle registration:

Motor Vehicle Affidavit - If we tell you that you need to make a statement of fact regarding your registration, use this form. 

Title Request - If you have a loan on your vehicle(s), the first step in the registration process is to fill out the Title Request Form and send it to your lienholder. Americas Mailbox can assist you with completing this form.  You must call and follow-up with the lienholder to ensure the transfer of the title is being processed. Once you have confirmed that the title has been mailed to the Pennington County Treasurer's Office we can then begin to finalize the titling and registration process on your behalf. 

If we receive a “courtesy” card for your vehicle renewals, we notify you about a month before they are due. When we RENEW your vehicle registration for you, this form may be needed if the state did not issue that "courtesy" card:

General Authorization Form - Please fill in, sign, and mail us the original as required by the Treasurer's office.